- People give you strange looks when you slather on sunscreen. Melanin needs protection too!
- Even when brands have the shade “dark”, it’s still too light for you
- When you aren’t visible in nighttime photos,because the photographer didn’t use flash
- No matter how much time you spend outside tanning, you’re still 50 shades of brown
- You’ll find a near perfect foundation, but it doesn’t match your undertones
- You have to travel to “urban” areas to get beauty products geared towards you
- Having to explain what it means to be ashy and why you have to put on lotion as soon as you get out of the shower
- That feeling of sadness when you lose your summer glow
- Having people tell you red lipstick doesn’t suit you
- Listening to family members say “Don’t spend too much time in the sun. We don’t want you to disappear.”
- You can’t buy drug store foundation because it doesn’t come in your shade.
- When people don’t understand shade can be your enemy (see photo above)
- People tell you “you’re already dark enough” and might suggest skin bleaching
- Lighting makes you go from dark skin to light skin
- Finding a nude lipstick is a lot of trial and errors
Even with all these woes, you wouldn’t trade your melanin for anything in the world.